"This temple was originally built at the end of the 7th century under Emperor Tenmu. The 11-faced statue of the bodhisattva Kannon was added at the request of the Emperor Shomu in the early 8th century. It is the one and only national treasure (kokuhou) in Kyotanabe city. In the past, the temple served the three sects of Hosso, Sanron, and Kegon Buddhism and was famous for the splendor of its buildings. Unfortunately, only the great hall was rebuilt after these burnt down in 1437. Now, however the hall and gardens are in harmony with the surrounding hills: in spring the temple path is lined with cherry trees and fields of rape blossom; in autumn the leaves of the trees turn brilliant reds and oranges."
"25 minutes on foot from ""Miyamaki"" St. (JR, Kintetsu line)"