"The Shuchi Shrine was originally built further west on the summit of Mount Nishimine. It was supposedly moved here during in the first year of Emperor Senka's reign (536). This shrine is considered the predecessor to what is now Yasaka Shrine in Kyoto because the god once enshrined here (Gozu Tennou) was transferred there in the 11th year of the Jougan era (869). The main hall, built in the 17th year of the Keichou era (1612), is decorated in the florid style of the Momoyama period and is registered as a cultural asset of Kyoto Prefecture. Every year since the Jougan era (859-877) the shrine has dedicated a sakaki tree (sacred to Shinto) to one of the Gion Festival parades. The practise of celebrating the eve of the Gion Festival (known as yoimiya-matsuri) was revived in the 6th year of Heisei (1994) and is observed by lively crowds of people."